Sunday, September 19, 2010

An Introduction to the artist William Kratzer


 Greetings Everyone!

I'm writing this first post to introduce you to the work of my grandfather William (Bill) Kratzer. I have been meaning to put together a collection his works for some time now and wanted to make it available online for everyone to see. Bill's career as an artist occurred before the internet became the widespread phenomenon it is now, with websites, blogs and all the other facets of expression being used today. Sitting here as I type this, I feel proud but also grateful to have the opportunity to do this  for  a man who meant so much to me in so many ways. 

For longer than I can remember my grandfather made his living as a painter; painting the rugged landscapes and wildlife of  Ontario, Canada. Bill focused much of his work on the area in, and around Algonquin Park. Born 1922 in Hamburg, Germany he brought his family over to Canada in 1952. After spending some years in the Toronto area he eventually made the move up north and settled in the village of Dwight, just west of Algonquin Park's west gate. For close to 30 years he made a living out of his studio attracting clientele from all over the world, including private collectors and large companies.

An avid outdoors man, living in such an area was the perfect place for his adventurous nature. He spent a lot of time hiking in the neighbourhood and throughout Algonquin Park in search of subjects to paint. He worked hard and was always consistent in his dedication to painting. 

Following his passion for the wilderness he spent endless hours hiking, canoeing, and adventuring, not just in search of new things to paint, but also for the love of nature. He was one the fittest men I have ever known. I think some of the qualities I remember most about him was how nice, decent and friendly he was and how  engaged he was with you while in your company. To this day I still run into people in the neighbourhood who knew and admired him, and have purchased some of his paintings. They always have great things to say about him and that always puts a smile on my face.

It feels great to finally start this project. I value being able to begin to share some of my memories about him and of his work. It's interesting, I have always wanted to move to Dwight as well, and now I get to feel his presence everyday because I now work in the studio he built and painted in for so many years. 

I look forward to seeing this endeavour grow and hope this message finds everyone well!

 Sincerely, Mark Reeder.


If you own any of Bill Kratzer's paintings, I would be very interested in hearing from you. Feel free to contact me through email williamkratzerpaintings@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. Hello Mark,

    My father, Jim Lever, was the superintendent of Algonquin Park for a number of years in the 70's. We lived at Cache Lake and my twin sister and I went to school at Irwin Memorial Public School and my brothers attended Huntsville High School. We have many fine memories of the time we spent in Algonquin and often go back as many of us live in Muskoka.

    My mother became very friendly with Mr. Kratzer and eventually purchased 2 paintings from him. My twin sister now has one, and I have the other.

    My mother and father are still well and enjoying retirement. We plan on spending my Dad's 80th birthday in August 2012 at Bartlette Lodge, Cache Lake. We will definitely stop in to see you!

    Very best wishes.

    Jane E. Lever

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a great fan of your grandfather, Bill Kratzer. He was an extremely talented artist and a true gentleman. I comissioned many paintings and was in the barn so many times (and enjoyed every time). You never felt rushed with him. He had such a gift and was a truly GREAT artist. I have 2 of his paintings, hemlock bluff trail & a barn w/a girl in the background (my first painting). I had more but after a divorce my ex-husband would not let me have any more. I regret not fighting for them because he and his painting were truly one of a kind!!!!!

    Thank you

    linda stout

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mark,

    I met William Kratzer and family through your mother. My husband and I attended your parents wedding in Dwight, Ontario and slowly became a collector of his earliest paintings.
    Presently, there is not a wall in our house that does NOT have an original painting hanging
    on it. You might say, Willie, as he was affectionately known to us, is still with us every day.

    Best wishes to you and your family,

    Olivia Soltow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mark,

    I worked with Bill in personnel at DT. I have 3 of his paintings, one of which was a wedding present to us in 1966. I also visited him in Dwight after he left Toronto. Both his mother and father were also residing with him and his wife. I am very glad to find this site. He was great to work with.

    ReplyDelete